About Us-Contributing Editors
Thank you for visiting the Combahee River Collective website. It is our goal to further educate the masses on the movement of the 3rd World Womens Alliance and primarily focusing on the Combahee River Collective. The black feminist lesbian movement is a vital group imperative to the understanding of feminism and its political standings. We hope we have properly represented these brave and ground breaking women in an aesthetically pleasing manner.
- Gina Javaheri: I am 28 years old and majoring in Liberal Studies. I have been at SFSU since 2005 on and off. I have always had a full-time job, to support myself as I life alone and am self-sufficient, so I never got to be a full-time student. My interest in Womens Gender Studies is simple--I'm female and proud to be one. I have had my share of struggles in life and I wanted to learn the struggles of other females throughout history. I am dedicated to finishing my BA in this next year and after that I plan on studying Interior Design or possibly continuing my path in the fashion industry and craft cocktail bartending. The world is my oyster and I plan on shucking it!
- Coley: My name is Andrew Schwartz. Everybody calls me Coley. I am a transfer student from Washington DC majoring in Women and Gender studies. I am not really sure what I am going to do with my BA once i finish it. I am interested in the health care industry, especially the holistic side of healing. I love to play basketball, listen to old music, be with people and spend time outdoors. I am also an artist that focuses on portraits. If you need one done as a gift or just for personal enjoyment let me know!
- Taylor Rae Washington: I am 23 years old majoring in Women and Gender Studies. I am a transfer student from College of San Mateo and I've been in school on and off since I was 18 years old. I'm now currently doing ABA therapy with Autistic children and I've been dancing since I was about 4 years old. I'm currently now in a dance company called STR8JACKET and loving every second of it. I've always worked full time and I'm finally getting to chance to complete my BA. I have always been into sociology but when I came across women and gender studies, I fell in love with the topic. When I was 18, I wanted a truck for my 18th birthday and my mother told me I couldn't have it because "ladies don't drive trucks." I was furious and confused as to why my gender had anything to do with what I could and couldn't do. Needless to say, I can't wait to study this topic in more detail In the future. After I receive my BA, I want to pursue social work or dedicating my time to street outreach work especially pertaining to teenagers and women. My plan is to just continue doing what I love, and to continue to give back to people far less fortunate then myself.
- Courtney Massengale: I am 17 years old and currently a Liberal Studies major. I plan on changing my major to Kinesiology to become an occupational therapist but I am still unsure if I will stick with that major. I am a member of the schools track and field team where I throw the javelin and discus and hope that one day I will be able to make it to the Olympics. Yuba City, CA is my home which
- Kelly Villata: I am 21 years old and majoring in Criminal Justice. My goal is to become a Juvenile Probation Officer, I've always been interested in justice program and why not contribute by trying to help our youth because they are the future. Although being a full time student and having a full time job has not been the easy, but even though I'm a busy bee I still make time to do one of my hobbies which is crafting. I love designing new things and making something old into a more unique version and above all my favorite hobby has got to be my daily naps. Women and Gender studies interest me because I know as women our efforts are often seemed as less when they shouldn't. We must support woman empowerment !